There’s nothing I love more than a family outing to the beach or local pool. And with summer fast approaching, I figured it would be helpful for everyone to go over some quick safety tips whether you’re in or around water any time this summer.
- Only swim in designated swimming areas.
- Wherever you and your group is swimming make sure a lifeguard is on duty.
- Always swim with a buddy and never risk swimming alone.
- Never leave small children unattended near water—be within arm’s length at all times if possible.
- Don’t run on slippery surfaces near open water—pool decks, rocks, patios, etc.
- Always wear a Coast Guard Regulated Life-Jacket when boating.
- Have small children and other inexperienced swimmers use Life-Jackets in or near water.
- Establish rules within your group before enjoying the water and enforce them during your time in the water.
- Establish an emergency plan and know when to call 9-1-1.
Last, but certainly not least, here comes a personal tip from yours truly, always wear sunscreen when in or around water while outside. The water acts as a magnifying glass for the sun, so you’re twice as likely to get sunburnt when around water.
Remember to keep these safety tips in mind when you’re enjoying the water and everyone in your party is sure to have a safe and fun time this summer.